Here at Barclay Library you have access to a variety of genealogical and historical databses. Below is a short description of each database along with a link to each website (these are also linked on the desktop of the Genealogy Computer).
- The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
- The CWSS offers a wealth of information about combatants on both sides of the Civil War. It includes, names, vital records, lists of prisoner, lists of medal of hornor recipients, regiment histories, and burial lists for 14 national cemetaries. Use of the CWSS is free of charge.
- Illinois State Archives
- The Illinois State Archives have a large number of databases including muster rolls of soldiers from the War of 1812 to the Spanish-American War (1898), birth, marriage and death records, and register indexes from the various state universities.
- Illinois Digital Archives
The Illinois Digital a repository for the digital collections of the Illinois State Library as well as other libraries and cultural institutions in the State of Illinois.
Photographs, slides, glass negatives
Manuscripts and letters
Federal government documents
- Family Search.org
- This free database provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is continually added to by its users. Here you can search for relatives and add your own family tree to help out other genealogists. The software needed to build and upload your family tree is avalible for free from the Family Search website and is also installed on the Genealogy Computer.
- Genealogy trails
- Here is another free database that has a great deal of information about Illinoisans.
- This free database has transcripts of cemetery inscriptions from all over the world, including the US and Europe.
- United States National Archives
- The National Archives website is a very good place for the beinning genealogist. Here you will find not only records, but also information and tips for researching your family history.
- Macon County IL GenWeb
- Local history information for Macon County.
- The US Genweb Project
- This is a free site that offers a wealth of information, local history, and photographs. The amount of information varies by state and county.